Sunday, December 6, 2009

A Strange Longing


A Strange Longing
Emptiness surrounds me,
Fills my entire being
And I don’t know why.

A black pit,
Deep within my soul
Threatens to consume me.

I can’t understand this,
This strange longing,
This aching pain.

I’m a success,
I’m not lonely
And yet I yearn.

But what do I yearn for?
What do I need?
What do I desire?

Fame and fortune,
They are words
And have no effect on me.

I exist in a relationship
So I can’t be lonely
I don’t yearn for that.

But there is something deeper
Something that speaks
To my very soul.

But I can’t name it,
Identify it nor can
I label it.

It just exists,
Like a parasite
Refusing to release its host.

It’s burrowed itself
Deeply under my skin
Deeply into my very soul.

It won’t release
I can’t shake it
It remains.

What is this thing?
Why is it here?
What does it want?

No comments:

Post a Comment