Sunday, August 18, 2013

A Look Back

I'm sitting backstage waiting for my final cue to be called to dance my choreography for the last time in cbp:LLC's production of "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying." I'm thinking of how I got here and of all the people who have influenced me. And I remember Drew University's Department of Theatre and Dance.

I get nostalgic 
Each closing night
I remember so much 
Remember so many plights.

I think of me
And how I've grown
And how glad I am
That growth has shown.

I think back to all
Who've impacted me
Helped me to become
All I could be.

I think of the man
Who started it all
A man who caught me
Each time I'd fall.

A man who says
A theatre major I'd be
Who saw my potential
When that I couldn't see.

Then all too quick,
In a blink he was gone.
The love he instilled in me
Forever lives on.

I sit here too
Thinking of all the hands
Who have helped me to grow 
My theatrical plans.

All of the professors
Who stood by me
Taught me to learn
My own potential to see.

Rosemary and Lisa
They inspired me to write
Helped me persevere
Through a dramaturgy fight.

Baz and And
Taught me how to design
To build sets and character
And always challenged my mind.

Dan is a sage
Wise and true
Words of encouragement 
He'll always give you.

Then there's Chris
Who taught me to act
 Made me a great teacher too
And that is a fact.

And of course there's Cheryl
Who taught me most to grow.
To dance and choreograph
And all about Laban I know.

As I sit backstage 
Working in this art
I'm so grateful for the knowledge 
Each chose to impart.

This closing night
Is special to me
Because I think of those
Who taught me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment