Thursday, April 25, 2013

I Should Forget

Thinking of this man makes me reflect on all that I am. And on the pain of rejection that was caused by me thinking too much of him. Here's "I Should Forget."

A sad sort of quiet
Seeps in over me
A realization, a thought
Defining who I will be.

To trust, to love
It takes some time
To have it smashed
Without reason or rhyme.

To hold you up high
To get close to you
A mistake so stupid
And narrow in view.

Your acceptance I long for
But never seem to get
I suppose of this
I should no longer fret.

In you I saw
All I wanted to be,
So proud, so successful
I guess I couldn't see

Past my own blindness
After all, you're only a man
Not a demigod or prince
That would've suited my plan.

I knew I didn't matter
To you much at all,
But praise words from you
Made me feel ten feet tall.

I held each one dear
Close to my heart
To close my open wounds
I thought I'd never start.

I should forget you
Move on through the pain.
Still I think of you fondly
When I hear your name.

Forgetting you
Is the hardest part
After all of the footprints
You've left on my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment