Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Tolling Bells


I found an old design journal of mine and I reread it. This is the poem that came from it. 

Tolling Bells
Tension mounts slowly.
The disappointment in
Your eyes pierces
Me worse then
Any knife blade.

I know what
You want from
Me but I’m
Unable to deliver.
It’s draining me.

I can take
Anger, I can
Take yelling, but
It’s your silence
That cuts me
To the core.

Stoic and Sphinx-like
You stare at
Me, gaze unwavering.
Your mouth is
A hard line.

Gone is the
Warmth and laughs
You’ve shown me.
Instead, it is
Now cold indifference
That I face.

The bells that
Toll In Memoriam
Of our beloved
Department Chair have
Changed the very
Air between us.

Gone is the
Mutual joking, smiles
And general friendliness.
Instead, it’s replaced
By great tension.

Your beautiful choreography
Is marred by
My horrid sound.
Although I push
Myself, I know

You’ll never be
Satisfied with my
Work. Even still,
Because I look
Up to you,
I will continue
To work and
Try to match
Your vision perfectly.
It’s all that
I can do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment